Vice Chancellor for Research and Friends of the Hall Center Book Publication Awards
Deadline: Monday, January 7, 2019 11:59pm
The Vice Chancellor for Research Book Publication Award is sponsored by the University of Kansas Office of Research. It is intended to assist in the publication of meritorious book manuscripts resulting from humanities research by KU faculty members. Additional publication awards are made possible by the Friends of the Hall Center, and are intended to assist in the publication of meritorious book manuscripts resulting from humanities research by KU faculty members who demonstrate financial need.
The authors of the manuscripts selected for these awards receive $1,500 for use towards publication of their books. The awards can be used to reimburse the authors' expenses related to illustration or indexing costs, or to provide a subvention to the presses publishing the books. .
Eligible applicants will:
1. Hold a tenure track appointment at the University of Kansas, including tenured faculty in phased retirement;
2. Have a manuscript resulting from original humanities research; and
3. Have a manuscript accepted for publication by a refereed press.
Book Award recipients are required to:
1. Submit receipts for reimbursement within 90 days of the date the expense was incurred, and no later than March 31 of the academic year following the date of the award.
2. Recipients of a Friends Book Publication Award may be asked to make a short presentation at the Friends Annual Meeting.
All application materials must be submitted through the Hall Center Competitions Portal. Paper submissions will not be accepted. For an application to be verified as complete, and thus forwarded for committee review, applicants must:
1. Create an account or log in to an existing account.
2. Select the Apply Now button next to this competition.
3. Complete the Applicant Information form in the Portal.
4. Upload the following materials as 4 separate PDF files:
a. Letter of Application that contains a summary of the book, a discussion of the book's significance to its field and to the humanities in general, and how the award will be spent. Applicants may request amounts smaller than $1,500, which will then be considered for a Friends of the Hall Center award.
b. Curriculum Vitae not to exceed 2 pages that includes:
* Record of applicant's education, including the dates when degrees were awarded;
* Record of applicant's employment;
* List of applicant's publications, including page numbers for journal articles and book chapters; and
* List of applicant's awards and grants received during the last five years.
c. Copy of the accepted manuscript; and
d. Significant correspondence with the press, including the readers' reports.
No extraneous materials will be considered.
A committee appointed by the Hall Center Director selects the award recipient based upon the following criteria:
1. Significance of the contribution that the publication will make to thought and knowledge in the pertinent genre, tradition, or field, and to the humanities generally;
2. Timeliness, such that the award will assist with the final stages of publication; and
3. In the case of a Friends Book Award, the demonstrated financial need of the book's author and/or publisher.
PEER REVIEW PROCESS
An interdisciplinary panel of KU faculty with successful grant and publishing track records select awardees. The Hall Center Director brings together a unique panel for each competition. Reviewers are asked to read the applications and enter their comments and rankings for each applicant in the online portal. Reviewers then meet to discuss individual applications and determine awardees. All applicants can view reviewer comments in the online portal. While these reflect only an individual reviewer's comments and not the final consensus of the group, they are offered to applicants as input that may help improve their applications for future competitions.
Applicants should direct all questions about the Book Publication Awards to Hall Center Interim Director Marta Caminero-Santangelo (4-3054; email@example.com) or to Associate Director Sarah Bishop (4-7823; firstname.lastname@example.org).