Hall Center Video Smash 2019
Due Date: October 1st, 2019 at 11:59pm
Screening and Awards Reception: TBA, October 2019
Purpose: The Hall Center for the Humanities invites teams of faculty, graduate students, and/or undergraduate students to create videos that demonstrate the power of the humanities to answer pressing questions, solve mysteries, illuminate pop culture and current events, and awe the imagination. Videos should be no more than five minutes in length. The goal of these awards is to encourage collaboration between different facets of KU’s scholarly community and to develop a pipeline of fresh video content for promoting the humanities at KU.
Award: The first-place video production team will receive a $1,000 cash award; the second-place video production team will receive a $500 cash award; the third-place video production team will receive a $250 cash award. Select video production teams will be invited to screen their videos and provide commentary on the production process at the screening and awards reception at the end of October.
Eligible teams will:
- Include at least one KU faculty member, and at least one KU graduate student or KU undergraduate student.
- Submit a video that focuses on a question, mystery, or framework in any humanities discipline.
- Permit the Hall Center to screen their video at the awards reception and to circulate it on the Hall Center’s website and social media accounts.
Awardees must be willing to attend the awards reception, screen their videos, and present on their production process.
Criteria: A committee of humanities faculty and Hall Center staff, chaired by the Hall Center Director, will select the Humanities Video Smash Awardees. Criteria for selection include:
1. The caliber of the humanities content presented within the video
2. The production quality of the video
3. The video’s ability to appeal to a general audience
4. Special consideration will be given to the team’s collaborative membership composition, especially across fields, disciplines, and ranks (faculty, graduate, undergraduate).
Examples: The Hall Center provides the following links as examples of the kinds of video programming we are hoping to elicit through this competition:
Resources: The Hall Center provides links to the following resources for your projects:
Application Process: Please submit the following information in a single PDF to the Hall Center’s Associate Director Sarah Bishop at email@example.com no later than Tuesday, October 1st at 11:59pm (central).
1. Lead Team Member Contact Info: Please include the name, title, department affiliation, mailing address, phone number, and email address of the lead team member. This will be the main contact for the application and will receive all communications related to the application process.
2. All Other Team Member Contact Info: Please include the name, title, department affiliation, mailing address, phone number, and email address of all other team members. Please remember each team must contain at least one KU faculty member, at least one KU graduate student, and at least one KU undergraduate student. Multiple team members at these ranks and team members from different fields / disciplines are encouraged.
3. Video Title: Please include a title for your video (150 characters or less).
4. Video Synopsis: Please explain the main thesis of your video (100 words or less).
5. Video Link: Please link to your completed video on YouTube or Vimeo. If your video is private, please be sure to include the login and password so that the review committee can access your video content.
All applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF no later than Tuesday, October 1st at 11:59PM (Central). Please title the subject of the application email: “Video Smash 2019: Lead Team Member Last Name, Lead Team Member First Name.”
All applicants will be notified of review committee decisions no later than Monday, October 14th at 5pm (Central).
Please contact Sarah Bishop, the Associate Director of the Hall Center for the Humanities, with any questions at: email@example.com or 785.864.7823.