Hall Center Scholar Award
Deadline: Monday, March 27, 2017 11:59pm
The Hall Center Scholars program is designed to give KU undergraduates the unique opportunity to engage closely with the thinking and writing of the well-known authors, scholars and public intellectuals who speak in the Hall Center's Humanities Lecture Series. Hall Center Scholars serve as liaisons to the Series, and are given the opportunity to meet and talk with speakers. Scholars will also participate in special preparatory projects surrounding the Humanities Lecture Series. These projects might include book discussions with KU faculty members and meetings with high school students who are attending the lectures.
Hall Center Scholars receive an award of $500, provided through the generosity of the Friends of the Hall Center. They also receive exclusive invitations to Humanities Lectures Series events, including special receptions, lunches, and book discussion groups.
Eligible Applicants are:
1. KU undergraduates with strong academic credentials and a track record of engagement with the university community.
2. Intending to enroll in coursework for both Fall and Spring semesters of the academic year of the award, and do not have plans for study abroad or hold internships that would make them absent from campus for an extended period of time. (Absences during break periods are acceptable).
Hall Center Scholars are required to:
1. Familiarize themselves with the work of the visiting speakers in the Humanities Lecture Series prior to their campus visit. This includes reading selections of the speaker's work, as well as commentary on their work.
2. Attend Humanities Lecture Series events, which include six lectures and occasional lunches and/or receptions. Scholars are provided with the lecture schedule prior to the start of the academic year and should plan to attend all events. Absences should only occur due to unavoidable academic or employment conflicts.
3. Attend any Humanities Lecture Series related preparatory events and actively participate in dialogues with other attendees.
4. Help to promote Hall Center events to their peers through word of mouth or other appropriate channels.
5. Actively participate in the Hall Center's Facebook page and/or other Hall Center-initiated social media platforms.
All application materials must be submitted through the Hall Center Competitions Portal. Paper submissions will not be accepted. For an application to be verified as complete, and thus forwarded for committee review, applicants must:
1. Create an account or log in to an existing account.
2. Select the Apply Now button next to this competition.
3. Complete the Applicant Information form in the Portal, including the names of two academic references. Applicants are not required to solicit reference letters.
4. Upload the following materials as 2 separate PDF or Word files:
1. Letter of application, not to exceed four double-spaced pages. The letter should detail your interest in the humanities, interdisciplinary work, and the Humanities Lecture Series; and your record of engagement with the university and broader community, including both volunteer work and scholarly achievements. Be as specific as possible about this involvement. We receive many applications from stellar students from across the university, so when writing your letter of application, be thinking about the following questions: what makes you stand out? Why do you want to be a Hall Center Scholar? What about meeting the Humanities Lecture Series speakers excites you? and
No extraneous materials will be considered.
Hall Center Scholars are selected based upon the following criteria:
1. Interest in the humanities, interdisciplinary work, and the goals of the Humanities Lecture Series, as demonstrated by the Letter of Application;
2. Academic achievement, as reflected in grades and academic honors; and
3. Record of engagement with the university community.
Applicants should direct all questions about the Hall Center Scholar Competition to Hall Center Acting Director Sally Utech (4-7823; email@example.com).