Vice Chancellor for Research and Friends of the Hall Center Book Publication Awards – Application Instructions
Deadline: Monday, September 27, 2021 11:59pm
These awards provide financial support to aid in the publication of a manuscript based on humanities research, written by a KU faculty member and accepted by a refereed press.
The Vice Chancellor for Research Book Subvention Award is sponsored by the University of Kansas Office of Research to assist in the publication of an outstanding book manuscripts resulting from humanities research by KU faculty members.
Additional book subvention awards, funded by the Friends of the Hall Center, assist in the publication of two outstanding book manuscripts resulting from humanities research by KU faculty members.
The authors of manuscripts selected for these awards receive up to $1,500 for use towards publication of their books. The awards can be used to reimburse expenses such as illustration costs, the production of maps or charts, the preparation of online databases as supplements to physical books, and direct subventions required by presses. These awards are not intended to pay for the indexing of books.
DEADLINE: Monday, September 27, 2021 at 11:59PM
Eligible applicants will:
1. Hold a tenure track appointment at the University of Kansas, including tenured faculty in phased retirement;
2. Have a manuscript resulting from original humanities research; and
3. Have a manuscript accepted for publication by a refereed press.
1. Book Award recipients are required to submit receipts for reimbursement no later than September 1 of the year following the date of the award.
2. Recipients of a Friends Book Publication Award may be asked to make a short presentation at the Friends Annual Meeting.
All application materials must be submitted through the Hall Center Competitions Portal. Paper submissions will not be accepted. For an application to be verified as complete, and thus forwarded for committee review, applicants must:
1. Create an account or log in to an existing account.
2. Select the Apply Now button next to this competition.
3. Complete the Applicant Information form in the Portal.
4. Upload the following materials as 4 separate PDF files:
a. Letter of Application (1 or 2 pages) that contains a summary of the book, a discussion of the book's significance to its field and to the humanities in general, and how the award will be spent. Applicants may request amounts smaller than $1,500, which will then be considered for a Friends of the Hall Center award.
b. Curriculum Vitae not to exceed 2 pages that includes:
* Record of applicant's education, including the dates when degrees were awarded;
* Record of applicant's employment;
* List of applicant's publications, including page numbers for journal articles and book chapters; and
* List of applicant's awards and grants received during the last five years.
c. Copy of the accepted manuscript; and
d. Significant correspondence with the press, including the readers' reports.
No extraneous materials will be considered.
PEER REVIEW PROCESS
The Hall Center Director appoints an interdisciplinary panel of KU faculty with successful grant and publishing track records to select awardees. All applicants can access feedback from the selection committee via the online competition portal following the conclusion of the competition.
The selection committee selects award recipients based upon the following criteria:
1. Significance of the contribution that the publication will make to thought and knowledge in the pertinent genre, tradition, or field, and to the humanities generally;
2. Timeliness, such that the award will assist with the final stages of publication; and
3. The demonstrated need of the book's author and/or publisher.
Applicants should direct questions about the Book Publication Awards to Hall Center Director Richard Godbeer (email@example.com) or to Assistant Director Andrew Hodgson (firstname.lastname@example.org).